Utah Shakespeare Festival FACT Sheet
Facts About New Building:
- Total Cost: $26.5 Million
- New features:
- 900 new seats
- Retractable roof
- More public restrooms
- Larger back stage
- Construction to begin fall of 2013, completed early 2015
- It will have a retractable roof, larger backstage, and more public restrooms
- The new building will be located off SUU’s campus between 200 West and College Avenue
- EXTENDED SEASON?
- 300 jobs will be generated over the two year construction period
- Adjacent to the new building will be an artistic center which will provide necessary and functional facilities for a number of artistic, technical and administrative uses.
*Economic Impact of Shakespeare Festival:
- The new building will create an estimated $8 million in economic impact to the state of Utah
- The Festival generates more than $35 million annually in patron spending and tax revenues
- Nonresident patron spending in 2010 totaled over $10 million
- Audience members in 2011 came from 39 states and nine different countries
- The Festival generated $1.2 million in state sales tax in the last three years
- In 2010, non-residential audience members spent $106 per event for lodging, transportation, souvenirs, restaurants, etc.
- The Festival creates 32 full-time jobs with an additional 372 seasonal employees, totaling more than $4.5 million in salaries and benefits
- Creates more than $3.5 million in out-of-state spending annually
*Economic Impact of The Utah Shakespeare Festival, reported by Dr. Kelly Matthews & Neil Abercrombie