1. Discuss the fight scene between the sisters Kate and Bianca. Do you think this is the first time they have had a fight? What did their father’s words tell you about how he feels about each of his daughters?
2. Discuss the “Sun and moon” scene? Why did Petruchio call the sun the moon? Why did Kate agree?
3. Petruchio tells Kate’s father that he is as “premptory” (stubborn) as Kate is and so they will have to fall in love. Think of examples of how they behave that show that they have similar personalities.
1. Have you ever had a fight with your brother or sister? Do you ever feel like your parents “always” take his or her side instead of yours? What can you do to try and better express how you feel when you are angry?
2. How would you react if you were treated the way Kate is treated by Petruchio? Would you do what he wanted or keep fighting?
3. Do you think Kate and Petruchio’s marriage will be a good one?
1. Who is the best wife? In the end of the play Bianca, the widow, and Kate were each asked to come to their husbands. Who did as they were asked? How did the other wives respond when they were called?
2. There are two servants in the play, Tranio and Grumio, one is asked to lie about who he is by pretending to be his master; the other has to serve his master honestly though it is hard work. Is one a better servant than the other?
3. Was Kate really a shrew? What did others say about her? What did she say herself?