February to April, 2023 and 2024
In an effort to help address the problem of youth depression and suicide, the Utah Shakespeare Festival is offering the life-affirming play Every Brilliant Thing to every public district high school in the state of Utah—absolutely free. The tour will take place in spring 2023 and spring 2024.
We hope to see you at your school soon!
The story begins when, at seven-years old, the lone character learns that his mother is in the hospital after her first attempt to take her own life. Afterwards, he begins a list. A list of everything brilliant about the world. Everything worth living for. With humor and inventiveness, the story explores depression and hope, uncertainty and change, relationships and solitude, risk and resilience, guilt and forgiveness. Throughout the play the character interacts with audience members to share his story.
- Create an active dialogue between all stakeholders about emotional and mental well-being in regards to depression and suicide.
- Increase awareness in Utah schools of mental health resources available for students and find applicable ways to use these resources.
- Provide an artistic experience that enables young people to see things from a new and positive perspective.
- Inspire people to see the beauty in life.
The Themes of the Play:
- You are not weird.
- You are not alone.
- It gets better.
- Life goes on.
Each event requires an hour and forty-five minutes with each school. This includes a twenty-minute pre-show interaction, sixty-five minute performance, and a twenty-minute talkback with the touring company. We can usually accommodate more than one performance a day at a school or venue.
Booking the Tour
If you wish for Every Brilliant Thing to come to your school or community, please complete this form: Tour Request Form.
2023 Region Dates
Below is a list of approximately when the tour will be in each region of Utah in 2023. Performances may be scheduled Monday through Saturday. If you are concerned that you may not be able to schedule the tour during the time your region is listed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with dates that may work better for you.
- Box Elder & Cache Counties: February 13 - February 18
- Weber, Davis: February 20 - March 3
- Salt Lake County: March 6 - March 31
- Utah Valley: April 3 - April 14
- Iron & Washington Counties: April 17 - April 21
2024 Region Dates
All other regions of Utah will be served in February through April 2024. If your area is not represented in 2023, please email email@example.com for information and reservations.
The touring company consists of two actors alternating each performance of the one-person show, a stage manager, and a tour manager.
If you have any questions, contact the Tour Manager, Jordan Simmons, at 435-299-0567 or firstname.lastname@example.org.